WordPress.org just released the latest update to WP with version 3.6 that includes some new features and security updates. As always it’s recommended you upgrade your site(s) if not for the mere security updates alone. If you’d like to download the new version click here. If you’re already running WordPress on your own hosting account you can simply click on the “update to 3.6” in your admin.
Oscar (what his version has been dubbed) includes better autosave and post locking, native support for audio and video embeds via an HTML5 media player, as well as improved integrations with Spotify, Rdio, and SoundCloud.
- New Default WP Theme – Twenty Thirteen
- Focus on blogging
- Single column layout with Sidebar / Widgets in the footer
- Latest Theme Features support, particularly Post Formats
- Font-based icons (Genericons) see below
- Admin Enhancements
- Menu user interface updated
- Revisions revised to be more dynamic and scalable
- Autosave and Post Locking
- Preview Audio and Video on Media Edit Screen
- In-line login following expired sessions
- For Developers
- External Libraries have been updated. More Info
- New audio/video APIs give developers access to powerful media metadata, like ID3 tags.
- Filters for revisions, allowing you to set the number of revisions ad hoc instead of only via a define. More Info
- Semantic Markup allows themes to chose improved HTML5 markup for comment forms, search forms, and comment lists.
- Search content for shortcodes with has_shortcode() and adjust shortcode attributes with a new filter.
For a complete list of changes visit the official 3.6 WP page.